The “Boy Meets Girl” moment is one of the required plot points in any romantic comedy. In musical comedy, it occasions a song and dance. Compare these two numbers from Top Hat and Singin’ in the Rain. Look especially at mise-en-scene and choreography.
Top Hat Isn’t this a lovely day?
Singin’ in the Rain You Were Meant For Me
- Setting and scenery
- Cinematography and camera movement
- Color (or not)
- Music: the type of music and how each changes? Singing and orchestral.
- Lyrics: How do the words of the song work in the dramatic situation?
- Dance forms: ballet, tap, others.
- Style of dancing: Astaire/Rogers and Kelly/Reynolds
- Structure: Progression (how does each scene develop and change?) beginning, middle. end?
- Male and female roles: relationship of man to woman